I don’t really make new years resolutions. I’m not a fan of them because I would almost certainly break them and get depressed at not keeping them. Most of the time new years resolutions are all about things I think I should be doing ALL the time (like eating healthy, sleeping well, learn new things, do exercise, take care of myself…blah blah blah) However, I do like to reflect on the past year and project to the next. There are three things that I am both excited and nervous for in 2019.
1. The travel trailer adventures.
- EXCITING! Late last year we bought a 32’ travel trailer and a 4×4 truck to pull it. The idea is that we can go visit state and national parks and enjoy seeing America without taking the need to take a tent. I am excited for all the cool places we are going to see. We are hoping once we have de-winterized it that we will get out and visit somewhere new one weekend a month with a few longer trips anticipated for 2019.
- NERVOUS! We are going to have to learn how to drive the truck and travel trailer. YIKES. In the US you don’t need a license to pull a trailer, let alone a 32’ one. The only reason we would need a license is if we were using it for commercial purposes. There aren’t really driving schools that will teach you how to drive it. That terrifies me. We haven’t moved it anywhere from the campsite yet. People say the best idea is to just get out there and do it!
- EXCITING! Traveling for work has its ups and downs because it often involves transatlantic travel over the weekends. The good news is however I do get to visit new and exciting places. I need to embrace this as an exciting point! My team is also doubling in size and I have applied for a new position (a promotion) within it so who knows what will happen there, but I want to think positively about it.
- NERVOUS. Organisational change brings on a lot of unknowns, but as well as organizationally changing my job description has changed a little bit which will bring new challenges. I hope I quickly learn the new skills I need for this new job description. I have a few courses already under my belt and I have a few more this year to take. I also suspect there will be confusion and stress through this change not just for me, but others so we need to tough it out together – I am nervous that colleagues won’t and work will become less fun. I really hope not.
- EXCITING! I am looking forward to Aviana becoming more independent and enjoying more quality time together, learning about her personality, hearing her talk endlessly (she talks A LOT to us!!) and potty training (bye bye nappies/diapers!).
- NERVOUS. Potty training. Haha yes, I am also nervous about that. We did actually try potty training several months ago but Aviana fell ill on the second day, she just wasn’t rising to the challenge as we think she can. She has proven that she knows exactly what to do on the potty by peeing and pooping on it on her own terms. She also spent a few days at daycare successfully using the potty and staying dry just before we moved her to the new Montessori school. So potty training will come soon hopefully. I am also more nervous about dealing with toddler temper tantrums. Admittedly I think she started these several months earlier than 2 and I feel a little more prepared on how to cope with them (How to talk to your child is a great book for helping in this area)…but I am nervous that there will be bigger ones on the way!
What are you looking forward to in 2019? What is making you feel nervous about 2019?